Human Syncytial Respiratory Virus (RSV) is the main causative agent of respiratory infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, which can affect the entire population in a wide age range.
RSV belongs to the family Paramyxoviridae, and is the most important viral agent that causes acute respiratory infections. There are two major groups, A and B, based on antigenic and genomic differences.
The disease, when it affects the lower respiratory tract, is usually serious and can especially affect elderly people, or those with heart, lung or immune system problems. Affected patients usually feel symptoms such as rhinorrhea, low grade fever, cough, ssore throat and headache, and wheezing.
RSV can be transmitted through droplets of nasal secretions that are expelled when coughing or sneezing. These drops come into direct contact, or by self-inoculation, after touching surfaces contaminated with the mucous membranes of eyes, nose and mouth.
The clinical diagnosis of the RSV virus may be problematic, since a large number of pathogens causing acute respiratory infections give rise to similar clinical conditions. CerTest has several tests for the detection of RSV:
– VIASURE RSV A Real Time PCR Detection Kit
– VIASURE RSV B Real Time PCR Detection kit
– VIASURE Flu A, Flu B & RSV Real Time PCR Detection Kit
– CerTest RSV card test – Rapid Test
– CerTest Influenza A+B+RSV combo card test – Rapid Test
– CerTest RSV + Adenovirus Resp. combo card test – Rapid Test
– CerTest Influenza A+b+RSV+Adeno Resp. combo card test – Rapid Test