Bronchiolitis is a common, seasonal lung infection in young individuals (under 2). The infection involves the lower respiratory tract and can present with signs of mild to moderate respiratory distress.
The early symptoms of bronchiolitis are similar to a cold, such as sneezing, blocked nose, cough and a slightly high temperature of 38°C. Other signs can be breathing more quickly, finding it difficult to eat, noisy breathing (wheezing) or becoming irritable. Symptoms are usually worst between days 3 and 5, and gets better in 3 weeks.
Bronchiolitis is a mild, self-limited infection in the majority of children but may sometimes progress to respiratory failure. Bronchiolitis is managed supportively with hydration and oxygen. No specific medications treat the infection.
During the first year of life, the incidence has been reported to be about 11% to 15%. Depending on the severity of the infection, there are at least 5 hospitalizations for every 1000 children younger than 2 years of age.
The most common virus associated with bronchiolitis is the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). However, many other viruses have been found to cause the same infection: Influenza virus, Parainfluenza virus, human Rhinovirus, Coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, human Metapneumovirus, Adenovirus and human Bocavirus. Bacterial origin is less frequent, although bronchiolitis caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae can be found.
During the second half of November, an increase in influenza syndrome and bronchiolitis has been detected in Spain, especially in children under 15 and 5 years of age, respectively.
VIASURE Real Time PCR Detection Kits can help you in the diagnosis of bronchiolitis:
- VIASURE RSV A+B Real Time PCR Detection Kit
- VIASURE SARS-CoV-2, Flu & RSV Real Time PCR Detection Kit
- VIASURE Parainfluenza Real Time PCR Detection Kit
- VIASURE Rhinovirus + Enterovirus Real Time PCR Detection Kit
- VIASURE Coronavirus 229E + NL63 + OC43 + HKU1 Real Time PCR Detection Kit
- VIASURE Adenovirus, Metapneumovirus & Bocavirus Real Time PCR Detection Kit
- VIASURE pneumoniae, M. pneumoniae & L. pneumophila Real Time PCR Detection Kit
More info through email to: firstname.lastname@example.org